UC Berkeley's: New Manager Boot Camp
For Newly Promoted Engineers and Scientists
You’ve worked hard to develop world-class expertise in your field, and you’ve been rewarded with a management position that brings a new set of possibilities. Mastering the art and science of effective management requires an additional set of skills—skills that, when mastered, can transform the challenging task of management into something profoundly satisfying. Our New Manager Boot Camp is here to move you forward quickly, so you can inspire and engage others, and motivate your team to achieve great things.
"The UC Berkeley New Manager Boot Camp offers a balanced mix of topics and focus areas in a well-organized 3 day program. I highly recommend new managers take this outstanding course sooner rather than later."
Simon DiMaio. Manager of Applied Research, Intuitive Surgical
This intensive management training program is designed specifically for recently promoted engineers and scientists who want to excel as leaders in the dynamic high tech and life sciences industries. The program includes a combination of lectures, case studies, and individual and group exercises designed to give you tools that will immediately enhance your ability to lead effectively.
Award-winning faculty and industry leaders from the worlds of high tech and life sciences will team up in this two and a half day program to ensure you are ready to face the challenges of:
- Assembling and retaining the best talent
- Engaging and inspiring others
- Prioritizing and making quality decisions
- Navigating your organization's unique power structure to get things done
- Mastering the art of personal, group, and remote communications
The program also provides many opportunities for you to learn from highly accomplished peers facing similar challenges.
Dr. Homa Bahrami, Faculty Director, Introducing the New Manager Boot Camp
The program will be held at the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley.
- Leading and Developing Others: How do you ensure that your team members are excited about their work, the team, the company? How do you manage difficult people? What do you do about conflicts between team members? How do you lead people who were previously your peers?
- Team Structure: How many people can you effectively manage? How do you determine roles for team members? How do you manage dispersed, multi-cultural teams? What is technology's impact on organizational structure and business processes?
- Time Management: How do you balance team management, planning for the future, and day-to-day decision making? How do you keep your team focused without micromanaging?
- Hiring and Firing: How do you find good people and assess if they are a fit for your team? How do you take action when you have a poor fit -- quickly, professionally, and without threat of lawsuit?
- Communicating Effectively: How do you harness the power of communication?
Who Should Attend
The UC Berkeley New Manager Boot Camp was designed to jump start the management careers of engineers and scientists who have been recently promoted into supervisory roles. The program is also ideal for engineers or scientists considering future roles in management.
- May 5-7, 2014
San Jose, CA
$3,400 (Register before March 15th for $2995.)
- September 8-10, 2014
$3,900 (Register before June 27th $3400.)
- December 1-3, 2014
- Group Discount: Fifth person from a firm is free
- Anita Anderson
- Kim Fisher