UC Berkeley's: Product Management Training Program
Translating Market Opportunities into Profitability
"It condensed everything I need to know for my job into just one actionable week."
Kimberly Sauceda, Product Manager, Plantronics
*** Now offered in Berkeley, CA, and Sunnyvale, CA***
Our five-day Product Management Certificate Program combines the latest in Design Thinking with the best of the Berkeley-Haas MBA program, to prepare you for your dual role: General Manager of your product line, and Product Designer creating products and services your customers will love.
Our clients rate the program 9.6/10 on "this program was a worthwhile investment in my personal career development".
The Product Management Program Experience
Dr. Sara Beckman, who has led the program for nine years, constantly updates the program to reflect the latest research. Along with all program faculty, she maintains a consulting practice, to stay up-to-date on current issues facing companies like yours.
Prior to the program, we survey your colleagues at work to create your specific organization's Innovation Capabilities Report, a diagnostic tool that will help you tune your product development capabilities and bring them to their full potential. Via our program website, you'll engage in a short series of exercises, and will receive individual feedback before you arrive at the program.
During the program, you will benefit from world-class professors and practitioners who are on the cutting edge in their respective fields - design thinking, customer-focused design, competitive strategy, business model generation, influence without authority, team management, pricing, and customer insights.
You will participate in a series of hands-on exercises and simulations to ensure that knowledge gets put to work in your organization. You will also be matched with peer coaches with complementary backgrounds to yours, helping you leverage the intelligence and experience of your colleagues while building your network.
By the end of the program, you will have a personal action plan to address what you have learned during the week.
Transcending Day-to-Day Firefighting and Driving Strategy
"The UC Berkeley Product Management Program truly opened my mind to new possibilities for my work." Vidyangi S. Patil, Verification and Validation Engineer, Varian Medical Systems.
It is easy to succumb to the "tyranny of the inbox", and many product managers find themselves in a reactive role, rather than in the creative, high-value strategic role that attracted them to the profession. During your week with us, we'll help you tone down the daily firefight, and move your impact upstream where you can differentiate your product and service offerings from your competition. This is also the path to meaningful and rewarding career opportunities for you.
- Rapidly communicate, to any audience, a comprehensive business model for your existing business, as well as for product extensions and new lines of business you wish to create
- Learn a systematic methodology for allocating scarce resources among products
- Create pricing tools and systems to optimize product and product-line profitability
- Determine the most effective methods for obtaining and integrating market feedback to drive product decisions
- Harness the latest Design Thinking tools to obtain deeper insights and transformational products
- Manage your product team effectively, when you lack direct authority, and even when it doesn't feel like a team
- Speaking the language of senior management, so you can get your ideas implemented by the appropriate decision-makers
Who Should Attend the UC Berkeley-Haas Product Management Program?
Product Managers, Directors and Vice Presidents of Product Management. Project and Program Managers. Engineers looking to move into or interfacing with Product Management. General Managers who manage product portfolios and corporate strategy. This course applies to those managing existing products and launching new products.
- December 5-9, 2016 (waitlisted, contact Anita Anderson, +1.415.309.0939)
- January 23-27, 2017
- March 13-17, 2017
Palo Alto, CA
- May 15-19, 2017
- Group Discount: Fifth person from a firm is free
- Anita Anderson
- Kim Fisher